This week: Movement, Ibiza, DJ Harvey, Loopcloud, DJ-Kicks, Ed Banger's 100th release, Skepta steps up for Shelter and more
1. The full line-up has now been announced for this year's Movement festival in Detroit, which takes place across six stages at the Hart Plaza on Memorial Day Weekend (27-29 May). There are too many names to list here, but highlights include the Belleville Three, Kevin Saunderson (on his own), Richie Hawtin [pictured], Carl Craig, Robert Hood, Terrence Parker, Stacey Pullen, Octave One, Dixon, Carl Cox, Jamie Jones, Chris Liebing, Soul Clap, Mount Kimbie, Josh Wink, Nicole Moudaber, Adam Beyer, Dopplereffekt, Heidi, Leon Vynehall and.. oh, just click here already!
2. The Ibiza line-up announcements keep on coming, too. Ushuaïa have announced a Sunday night residency from Kygo (9 July-10 September). Tale Of Us have moved their Afterlife party to Thursdays at Privilege, where guests will include Jamie Jones, Maceo Plex, Dixon, Âme, Mathew Jonson and Nina Kraviz. Hyte can be found at Amnesia on Wednesdays for the third year running, with residents Loco Dice, Pan-Pot, Chris Liebing, Archie Hamilton and Benny Rodrigues. Loco Dice will also be playing at Pacha on 28 April, as will Seth Troxler on the 21st, and finally Solomun's annual Diynamic showcase will be at DC10 on 14 July. Phew!
3. Speaking of residencies, DJ Harvey has announced a whole string of 'em, with London's Ministry Of Sound, Berlin's Berghain, Paris's Concrete, Amsterdam's De Marktkantine, Lisbon's Lux Fragil and NYC's Output all set to get three visits apiece from him this summer. The first round of dates starts tomorrow (at MoS) and runs through till 12 May (at Output), with the rest still TBA. Harvey will play for six to eight hours at each show, as well as curating all the line-ups.
4. Some sadder news now, as we say RIP this week to: Brenda Jones (62) of The Jones Girls, who are best remembered for their 1981 Philadelphia International soul/disco anthem Night Over Egypt; to Roland founder and TB-303/TR-808/TR-909 inventor Ikutaro Kakehashi (87); and perhaps most tragically of all to Amanda Moss, co-founder of Corsica Studios, who passed away this week after a battle with ovarian cancer, aged just 53.
5. Ed Banger's 100th release will be a compilation album simply entitled Ed Rec 100. Out on 12 May, the album will feature contributions from the likes of Justice, Mr Oizo, Cassius, Riton and Busy P.
6. Boston-based house duo Soul Clap are coming to London for a series of four 'Day & Night' events on 3, 10, 17 and 24 June. Each party will feature a daytime event at The Magic Roundabout followed by a night-time bash at XOYO, with guests including Norman Jay, Dimitri From Paris, Jazzie B and Wolf+Lamb.
7. On the hunt for some new samples? Loopmasters have just launched a new free cloud-based sample service called Loopcloud. The service lets you preview samples online then purchase individual samples to add to your Loopcloud locker, which integrates seamlessly with all leading DAWs. You'll also be able to add up to 5GB of non-Loopmasters samples to your locker, and you get 1GB of free samples just for signing up! For full details, hit up Loopcloud.net.
8. The next installment in !K7's long-running and highly respected DJ-Kicks mix album series will come from Kompakt boss Michael Mayer. Out on 19 May, the album features tracks and mixes from Alter Ego, Jon Hopkins, Justus Köhnke, Mekon, Throbbing Gristle, Prins Thomas, Röyksopp and many more.
9. Mallorca's most famous nightclub BCM has closed, following the arrest of owner Bartolomé Cursach, who is facing 16 charges including murder and extortion. The closure of BCM and sister club Tito, though, is more directly due to breaches of safety and licensing regulations at the venues.
10. A nice happy note to end on... iDJ big-ups this week go to grime star Skepta, AKA Joseph Adenuga, whose charity gig for Shelter at Islington Assembly Hall on Tuesday night raised £30,000 to help the London homeless. Also on the bill were JME, A$AP Rocky and Shorty.
Hawtin pic: Creative Commons
Tags: Movement, Detroit, Ibiza, DJ Harvey, Brenda Jones, Ikutaro Kakehashi, Amanda Moss, Corsica Studios, Ed Banger, Soul Clap, XOYO, Loopmasters, Loopcloud, free samples, !K7, DJ-Kicks, Michael Mayer, Kompakt, BCM, Mallorca, Skepta, Shelter, Norman Jay, Dimitri From Paris, Jazzie B, Wolf+Lamb, Kevin Saunderson, Richie Hawtin, Carl Craig, Robert Hood, Terrence Parker, Stacey Pullen, Octave One, Dixon, Carl Cox, Jamie Jones, Chris Liebing, Mount Kimbie, Josh Wink, Nicole Moudaber, Adam Beyer, Pacha, DC-10