This week: Soulcrash Funk & Soul Weekender, Dave Clarke, Justin Martin, Defected Croatia, Dekmantel, Tomorrowland, vintage Italo-house and more...
1. The full line-up has now been announced for the Soundcrash Funk & Soul Weekender, which is at Pontins, Camber Sands in Sussex on 12-14 May. New additions to the bill include Gilles Peterson [pictured], Soul II Soul, Greg Wilson, Omar, Submotion Orchestra and The Herbaliser, and tickets are still available, priced at £149 including chalet accommodation. Full details on the festival website.
2. Kerri Chandler and Derrick Carter are to play a one-off FAC 51 The Haçienda party at Manchester's Albert Hall on 24 March. Support will come from Delano Smith and original Haç resident Mike Pickering, and tickets are available now.
3. More details have emerged this week of the 2017 Tomorrowland festival, which takes place in Boom, Belgium on 21-23 and 28-29 July. Festival-goers can look forward to stages hosted by Elrow, Drumcode, Diynamic, Trance Energy, V Recordings, Toolroom, Ants, Lost Frequencies, Dave Clarke, Spinnin', Pryda, A State Of Trance and many more... click here to see the full line-up so far.
4. Speaking of Dave Clarke, the UK techno don - never a man afraid to speak his mind! - declared in a Facebook post this week that he won't be returning to the US to play as long as Donald Trump is President, saying: "I simply cannot consider coming to the US professionally when there is a misogynist, narcissist, racist president in office." He added that recent bad experiences with unnamed US promoters had also played a part in his decision.
5. Meanwhile in Amsterdam, this year's Dekmantel festival will see live sets from Larry Heard, Steve Reich, Jeff Mills & Tony Allen, Sun Ra Arkestra, Floating Points, Bicep, A Certain Ratio, Nathan Fake and Optimo, among others, while DJs for the event on 2-6 August include Robert Hood, Masters At Work, Jon Hopkins, Shanti Celeste, Ben UFO, Joy Orbison, Helena Hauff, Rødhad, Marcel Dettman, Nina Kraviz, Motor City Drum Ensemble, Young Marco and many more. For the full line-up, click here.
6. And while we're on the subject of Young Marco (seamless, this, isn't it?) his Safe Trip label is putting out a two-volume compilation of vintage Italian 'dream house' (think: deep house, Balearica and ambient collide) on 20 March. Welcome To Paradise: Italian Dream House 1989-93 comes as two doublepack-vinyl volumes or one download, and includes cuts from Jacy, Last Rhythm, Don Pablo's Animals, Morenas and many more.
7. Toronto synth makers System 80 have announced a new Roland TR-808 clone for the Eurorack format, which they've very imaginatively named, er, 808 Eurorack Drum Machine. It's expected to become available towards the end of summer/early autumn.
8. Defected have added more names to the line-up for this year's Defected Croatia festival, which as previously reported will be taking place at the Garden Resort, Tisno on 10-15 August. New additions to the bill include Basement Jaxx, Kenny Dope and Derrick Carter.
9. This weekend will see Boiler Room throwing a special party at Smartbar in Chicago. The event marks 20 years since Daft Punk released the track Teachers, in which they namechecked the founding fathers of house music; tomorrow night, DJ Pierre B2B DJ Hyperactive, Glenn Underground, Paul Johnson, Boo Williams, Mike Dearborn and Ron Trent will be returning the favour! Naturally, it'll be streamed live on boilerroom.tv as well - tune in from 4-11am on Sunday if you're in the UK (that's 10pm-5am in Chicago)
10. Happen to be in Plymouth tonight? Like your D&B? Then we strongly recommend you get yourself down to Factory, where First Bass are celebrating their third birthday with a special 90-minute jungle classics set from DJ Hype. He'll have MC Daddy Earl in tow, while support comes from local selectors Connerz, Vurso, Towlie, Bozo, Lo-Grade and Mish.
11. Some good news to end on… Dirtybird boss Justin Martin had a USB stick full of unreleased material snatched from a CDJ at Mezzanine in San Francisco last weekend, just before he was due to play; understandably hacked off, he posted about the theft on Twitter. Now, one social media shitstorm later, the shame-faced thief has posted the errant thumbdrive to his agent's office. Hurrah!
Tags: Soundcrash Funk & Soul Weekender, Gilles Peterson, Soul II Soul, Greg Wilson, Kerri Chandler, Derrick Carter, The Haçienda, Mike Pickering, Tomorrowland, Dekmantel, Dave Clarke, Larry Heard, Steve Reich, Young Marco, System 80, Defected, Croatia, Basement Jaxx, Kenny Dope, Smartbar, Boiler Room, DJ Hype, Glenn Underground, Paul Johnson, Boo Williams, Mike Dearborn, Ron Trent, DJ Pierre, Justin Martin, Dirtybird, Mezzanine, Robert Hood, Masters At Work, Jon Hopkins, Shanti Celeste, Ben UFO, Joy Orbison