THIS WEEK: Chic, Chris Liebing, Moby, Stardust, Prins Thomas, Aphex Twin, Privilege Ibiza, deadmau5, Ross From Friends and much, much more...
1. Nile Rodgers & Chic are to release their first studio album since 1992's Chic-ism later this year. Out on 7 September on Virgin/EMI, It's About Time features guest appearances from Craig David, Stefflon Don, Mura Masa and Anderson Paak, and will be trailed by the single Boogie All Night.
2. Moby, meanwhile, is getting rid of all his records: he's selling off his entire vinyl collection in aid of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, an non-profit that campaigns against vivisection and animal testing. The collection includes hundreds of house, techno and hip-hop 12-inches from the 80s and 90s as well as test pressings and white labels of many of his own productions.
3. Avicii's family have confirmed that the late DJ was buried in Stockholm in a small private ceremony last Friday.
4. Tuesday (12 June) was the second anniversary of the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida in which 49 people were killed. 'Die-in' protests were staged in several cities across the US to mark the grim occasion, with participants lying on the ground for 12 minutes - one second for every person killed in a mass shooting since the attack - and demanding tougher gun controls.
5. On a far happier note, two much-loved dance music classics are getting reworked and reissued. Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You has been remixed and remastered by its creators (Alan Braxe and Thomas Bangalter) for a 20th anniversary re-release (date TBC), while Tale Of Us have remixed Energy 52's classic Cafe Del Mar for Renaissance's ReMix Collection series (out now digitally, vinyl to follow on 29 June).
6. Other upcoming releases to look out for include... Chris Liebing's new album Burn Slow (Mute, 8 September), which is said to see the German techno don pursuing a new, more minimal direction, and which features a guest appearance by Gary Numan... Calibre's fifth Shelflife collection of unreleased archive material, which features collaborations with the late Marcus Intalex (Signature Recordings, 29 June)... a collaborative, jazz-inspired LP by Norway's Prins Thomas and Bugge Wesseltoft, cunningly entitled Bugge Wesseltoft & Prins Thomas and out on Smalltown Supersound on 20 July... Cocoon Compilation R, the latest in Cocoon's long-running 'alphabet' series (Cocoon, 20 July)... and a new DJ-Kicks compilation from Australia's DJ Seinfeld (!K7, 13 July).
7. While you're waiting for those, you might like to grab yourself a copy of the new EP by Canadian techno producer Weska, seeing as it's free! Adam Beyer's been playing Crimson Tide for months, apparently, and if it's good enough for Adam Beyer...
8. On the festivals tip, this year's BIME Live in Bilbao, Spain (26-27 October) will star Aphex Twin, MGMT, Jon Hopkins, Nina Kraviz, Daniel Avery, Mumdance and many more... Backyard Sessions in Malmö, Sweden (1-2 September) has Dominik Eulberg, Flava D, Oxia, Per Hammer and Tim Andresen, among others... Honey Dijon and Kenny Larkin are among the new additions to the line-up for MUTEK in Montreal, Canada on 22-26 August... while finally Bassnectar and Kaskade have been announced as headliners for the EDM-tastic Imagine Music Festival in Atlanta, Georgia on 21-23 September.
9. Over in Ibiza, Privilege have announced their 2018 summer schedule. Mondays will be in the hands of trance crew Shine Ibiza, Resistance take care of Tuesdays with a star-studded techno line-up, Supermarxte are back for their 10th year on Thursdays and, as previously reported, Solid Grooves are in the house on Sundays. For full details, see Privilege's own website. Meanwhile Disturbing Ibiza take the hip-hop, R&B, grime and garage vibes to Ushuaïa every Wednesday, with Tinie Tempah hosting.
10. Following the recent news that his debut long-player Family Portait will drop on Brainfeeder in July, Ross From Friends has announced a series of UK live dates. Catch him at Village Undeground, London on 26 September, Thekla, Bristol on 2 October, Gorilla, Manchester on 3 October or Hare & Hounds, Birmingham on 11 October.
11. Look out for a couple of new sample packs from Sample Magic. Half Time D&B offers over 500MB of "cone-shaking subs, growling synths, filthy beat workouts and growling leads" for £14.99, while Deep UK Tech-House clocks in at over 900MB and will set you back £29.99 for the full package (although the Click & Mix system means you can pay less and get just the bits you want). Full info here.
12. Finally in EDM Corner, deadmau5 is apparently working on a new film score, although details are pretty much non-existent. And congratulations to Ninja and Marshmello, who won $1M to donate to charities of their choice in a celebrity Fortnite tournament on Tuesday.
Nile Rodgers pic: Joe Mabel/Creative Commons
Tags: Chic, Moby, Avicii, Pulse shooting, Stardust, Renaissance, Tale Of Us, Energy 52, Chris Liebing, Gary Numan, Calibre, Marcus Intalex, Prins Thomas, Bugge Wesseltoft, Cocoon, DJ-Kicks, !K7, DJ Seinfeld, Weske, BIME Live, Backyard Sessions, Mutek, Imagine Music Festival, Aphex Twin, MGMT, Jon Hopkins, Nina Kraviz, Daniel Avery, Mumdance, Dominik Eulberg, Flava D, Oxia, Per Hammer, Honey Dijon, Kenny Larkin, Bassnectar, Kaskade, Ross From Friends, Privilege, Ibiza, Resistance, Thekla, Sample Magic, deadmau5, M