THIS WEEK: Luciano, Orbital, Glitterbox, Innervisions, Hot Since 82, Ibiza, Arma 17, Nastia, We Are FSTVL, Egg LDN, Manchester Pride, Carl Cox, Bass Coast and more
1. In a lengthy Facebook post, Luciano [pictured] revealed this week that he checked himself into a rehab clinic in Thailand last year, and has now been clean and sober for a full 12 months. In the post, which you can read in full here, the Cadenza boss said he's chosen to speak out now following the tragic death of Avicii, because "many times I felt so close to what happened to Tim, that loneliness, isolation and specially the feeling of not being understood was generating high level of anxiety, depression and driving me confused."
2. To promote Glitterbox's Friday night residency at Hï Ibiza this summer, Defected have put together what they call "the ultimate record collection", and are auctioning it off for charity. The collection includes over 50 house and disco classics on 12-inch vinyl, personally selected and signed by the likes of Roger Sanchez, Todd Terry, Aeroplane, Luke Solomon and David Morales. The auction is open now and runs until 21 May, with the money going to conservation charity the Ibiza Preservation Fund.
3. Innervisions are to take over London's prestigious Royal Albert Hall on 21 September for night of live and DJ performances by label bosses Dixon and Âme, plus special guests who are still TBA. The event is being staged in association with London promoters LWE.
4. Stockholm is getting a brand new club in the form of Kvarteret, a 2,200-capacity music, arts and theatre space. Set to open in June, Kvarteret has two indoor and two outdoor spaces and is housed in a 100-year-old former slaughterhouse. The likes of Carl Craig, Jackmaster, Larry Heard, Mall Grab and DJ Tennis are all confirmed, but dates and line-ups won't be released until next week.
5. In other club news, Hot Since 82 is heading to New York on 19 May, when Knee Deep In Queens at the Knockdown Center will see him joined by Pete Tong and Lauren Lane, while Moscow techno collective Arma 17 come to Berlin on 2 June, when they'll take over the Funkhaus for a 24-hour rave with Nastia headlining.
6. Speaking of Hot Since 82, guests at his Ibiza residency Labyrinth (Pacha, Fridays) this summer will include Dubfire, Tiga, Erick Morillo, DJ Harvey, Adam Beyer B2B Ida Engberg, Nic Fanciulli, Skream, Deep Dish, Kerri Chandler, Heidi, Eats Everything, Steve Lawler, Sasha, Maya Jane Coles and many more. Meanwhile the full weekly line-ups for Black Coffee's residency at Amnesia have also now been announced, with guests set to include Damian Lazarus, Nic Fanciulli, Henrik Schwarz, Luciano, Honey Dijon, Jamie Jones, The Black Madonna and Guy Gerber.
7. The official afterparty for London festival We Are FSTVL on 27 May is to take place at Egg LDN. The party runs from 11pm till 8am and will see Cristoph, Danny Tenaglia and Richy Ahmed headlining the Kings Cross venue, with support from Ellie Cocks, GW Harrison, Artikal, Hux & Remi, Jess Bays and more.
8. In other festival news, Pete Tong, Danny Howard, Nicky Siano and Jellybean Benitez have all been confirmed for Manchester Pride on 24-27 August... Carl Cox's guests at his Ballinough Castle show in Northern Ireland on 25 August will be Monika Kruse, Darren Emerson, Jon Rundell and local hero AJ Gibbs... NYC's Full Moon Fest at the Knockdown Center on 30 June will star James Murphy, Metronomy, Jackmaster and more... and up in British Columbia, Canada, artists set to play the Bass Coast Festival on 6-9 July include Prosumer, dBridge, Ikonika and Jimmy Edgar.
9. A new documentary about female DJs, simply called Girl, will be available for streaming via iTunes, Google Play and Amazon from 1 June. Directed by Kandeyce Jorden, we're told Girl has been 15 years in the making and features the likes of DJ Rap, Colette and - particularly - Sandra Collins, with whom Jorden toured extensively while making the film.
10. The Electronic Music Awards are to take place at Los Angeles' Willow Studios for the second year on 8 November. As previously, there will be 13 gongs up for grabs, with top-flight artists performing live (last year featured the likes of Moby, Robert Hood and Orbital) and the whole shebang live-streamed on the t'interweb.
11. Good news for aspiring UK DJs who haven't left school yet: students undertaking a GCSE in Music can now do so with turntables as their instrument of choice.
12. In EDM corner, a waxwork of Martin Garrix went on display at Madame Tussauds in Amsterdam this week... Calvin Harris and his girlfriend were involved in a car crash in Beverley Hills, Los Angeles last weekend, but luckily no one was seriously hurt... and Deadmau5 is playing London's Printworks on 16 November - although tickets sold out in minutes so there's not much point telling you really...
13. Erica Synths has announced the Techno Drum Module, a 15-module synth complete with pads and FX that's been designed specifically for the live creation of harder techno styles. The machine was on display at the Superbooth show in Berlin last week, but there's no word yet as to availability or pricing.
14. Finally, some new and upcoming releases to look out for include: Orbital's first new long-player in six years, Monsters Exist (ACP Recordings, 14 September) ... an ultra-limited album from Playgroup boss Trevor Jackson, of which just 150 copies will be pressed, and which you'll need to head for the Independent Label Market in London's Spitalfields tomorrow (12 May) to buy ... a benefit album called Bring Down The Walls, which sees incarcerated vocalists revoicing house classics as re-produced by the likes of Larry Heard, Honey Dijon and Robert Owens, with all proceeds going to prisoners' charity Critical Resistance ... the first The Sound Of Love International comp from the Croatian festival, which is out on Love International Recordings on 15 June ... a live version of Justice's 2016 album Woman, entitled Woman World Wide (Ed Banger, 24 August) ... and a very special 200th release from Crosstown Rebels that sees Arthur Baker reunited with Rockers Revenge for the first time in over 30 years for the On A Mission EP, which comes complete with remixes by Francois K and Michael Mayer.
Tags: Luciano, Orbital, Glitterbox, Innervisions, Hot Since 82, Ibiza, Arma 17, Nastia, We Are FSTVL, Egg LDN, Manchester Pride, Carl Cox, Bass Coast, Full Moon Festival NYC, Electronic Music Awards, Martin Garrix, Calvin Harris, Deadmau5, Erica Synths, Larry Heard, Robert Owens, Honey Dijon, Kvarteret, Stockholm, Royal Albert Hall, Pacha, Amnesia, Knockdown Center, Dixon, Âme, Cadenza, substance abuse, rehab, Roger Sanchez, Aeroplane,Hï Ibiza, Trevor Jackson, Playgroup, Ed Banger, Crosstown Rebels, Arthur Baker