Rising Midlands star Tom Junior does us a mix…
Our Making Waves showcases DJ mixes by rising stars of the scene. Today it's the turn of West Midlands-based house DJ, producer and Groove Soul Records boss Tom Junior
Name: Tom Junior
Location: Midlands, UK
Describe the music you make in 20 words or less: Old school, jackin' and soulful house… with a hint of US garage thrown in.
Five key influences:
• My parents were very into music, so listening to early Motown and soul.
• Mid-90s house from the likes of Todd Edwards and Masters At Work.
• The first house track that really grabbed me that actually crossed over was Music Sounds Better With You.
• Buying vinyl in my early days and finding gems that nobody else had.
• Listening to the Essential Mix on Radio 1, then digging for weeks, trying to find those tracks and even singing them to the guy in the record shop, ha ha!
What one artist/producer would you most like to work with, and why? Todd Edwards. When I first got into house music around 1998, those skippy drums and groovy basslines changed the game for me and it’s a sound that’s never left me.
If people check out just ONE of your tracks, what should it be? There’s been a few but I would honestly say my latest track Music Takes Me is my best yet.
What else do iDJ readers need to know? I have my own label called Groove Soul Records which I've been slowly building for the last few years. It was something I always wanted to do and it gives me a lot of satisfaction to be able to help other up-and-coming artists.
Pics: Daniel Pedley
Music Takes Me is out now on Simma Black – buy it here. Anytime follows on 6 August.
Sandy Rivera – Fall For You [Sandys Classic Mix]
Cathy Battiesttsa & Scott Diaz – You & I
Soulmagic – Soulmagic [Saisson Remix]
Mike Newman – Make Me Change
Koala T – I Can Take You Down
Sandy B – Aint No Need to Hide [WZA Remix]
Dirty Secretz – Serendipity
Tom Junior – Music Takes Me