Italian house maestro Francesco 'Di Saronno' Ferraro serves up some classic US-style house grooves
Our Making Waves series is a chance for rising stars of the scene to show off their DJ skills. Today it's the turn of Di Saronno, AKA Francesco Ferraro, an Italian DJ/producer whose music has appeared on such esteemed labels as King Street, Nervous, Dopewax, i! Records, Glasgow Underground and many more…
Name: Di Saronno
AKA: Francesco Ferraro, Vanity Crime, Mindbuster and Soul Chaser. Also one-half of Houseswingers… and just 'Frank' to my friends!
Location: From Milan to Naples, sailing from Italy and worldwide by the seven seas.
Describe the music you make in 20 words or less: Pure house music don, crate-digging deep into the past on a mission to bring gems back to life for new generations.
Five key influences: Masters At Work, Kerri Chandler, The Avalanches, Phil Weeks, Todd Edwards.
What one artist/producer would you most like to work with, and why? Kenny Dope from Masters At Work and Phil Weeks. Two different generations of great beatmakers who I've been respecting individually since their roots. Nowadays they can still make everything sound analogue, raw and dirty!
If people check out just ONE of your tracks, what should it be? Taste Of Joy, which was the first Di Saronno track and the reason why this project is still alive. Everything started from one night with my friends in Milan: after a few shots of this blended liquor and some disco-funk music in the background, I felt in the mood to create something sophisticated. The rest is history...
What else do iDJ readers need to know? I'm not just some mysterious disco addict behind these disco shades! Thanks to the support shown for my main acts Francesco Ferraro and Vanity Crime (my darker techno alias) I've been playing relentlessly on dancefloors across the globe from Miami, Amsterdam and Ibiza to Odessa (Ukraine), Playa Del Carmen (Mexico) and many private venues in Australia. Follow your vocation and support your local artists, open your eyes, your ears and spread the word. Peace!
Instant Coffee by Di Saronno & Johnick is out on Too Many Rules on 17 June. Pre-order it here.
1. Di Saronno & Johnick – Never Say Die (Too Many Rules)
2. Todd Edwards pres The Messanger – Main Vibe [12 Inch Extended Version] (Nervous)
3. RareTwo Inc AKA DJ Sneak & Tripmastaz – U Played Yourself (Madhouse)
4. Di Saronno – Keep On Shining (Metro Trax)
5. HERO – Stay The Night [Demuir's Playboy Edit] (Fool?s Gold)
6. Simon Kidzoo & Elliot Fitch – The Reason (Toolroom)
7. DJ W!LD – Palace (The W Label)
8. Ten City – Feel It Too (Ultra)
9. Vaudafunk & Mindbuster – Finest Way Of Happiness [Human By Nature Remix] (theBasement Discos)
10. Tom Taylor & Gareth Whitehead – On A Tip [Phil Weeks Remix] (Lost My Dog)
11. MD X-Spress – God Made Me Phunky [10 Years Of Eats Everything Remix] (Defected)
12. Hotswing – Pump Up (Downtown Underground)
13. E-Smoove feat Latanza Waters – Deja Vu [Di Saronno Remix] (Nervous)
14. Tommy Largo – The Way I Like It (Frosted Recordings)
15. Di Saronno – One Million Roses (w&o Street Tracks)
16. Fred Everything – Imagination & Determination (Madhouse)
17. Houseswingers – Wheelhouse (King Street Sounds)
18. Kerri Chandler – Mommy What's A Record (Downtown 161)
19. Di Saronno feat Azulai – Tales From The Hood [Houseswingers Dub] (i! Records)
20. Adryiano – GDWTMFB (Soul Notes)
21. Deymare – After The Morning Comes (Soul Notes)
22. Tete de la Course – Roses (Soulfuric Deep)
23. Di Saronno – Never Too Late (theBasement Discos)
24. Freaks – 90's Comeback (Wash House)
25. Daft Punk – Burnin [Ian Pooley Cut Up Mix] (Virgin)